Cooking a steak in the air fryer is easy and comes out tender and juicy!
Simply season, place in the basket and let the air fryer do the work. We add a bit of garlic butter before serving for the perfect bite!
My air fryer is my most used appliance these days. It cooks things quickly, evenly, and nice and crisp without heaps of oil.
What’s So Great About Air Fryers?
Air fryers just might be the best kitchen appliance ever invented (I have this one here)! Everything is so much easier and healthier when it’s prepared in an air fryer!
Make fried food without the fat in about half of the time in the oven without sacrificing flavor!
Even frozen food can be cooked in an air fryer—simply adjust the cooking time.
Air fryers work by evenly circulating heat all around the steaks. With just a few basic seasonings, air fryer steaks are practically foolproof! Even cheaper cuts of meat become mouthwateringly tender! When the outdoor grill isn’t available, air frying steaks is the way to get great results every time.
The best air fryer steak recipe is easy and truly fuss-free. We keep it simple with a bit of oil and melted butter for flavor. Add in a quick sprinkle of steak seasonings and place in the air fryer basket. That’s all there is to it!
Steaks for Air Frying
While nothing quite compares to a perfectly grilled steak, an air fryer is a simple alternative.
Various cuts of steak will cook well in the air fryer (ribeye, sirloin, or New York) but the real key is making sure you have a thicker steak (at least 3/4″ but I prefer 1″). Thinner steaks don’t get the nice crisp on the outside without overcooking the inside.
If you’d like, you can marinate steaks by placing them in a zippered bag or an airtight container with some Italian seasoning, olive oil and a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. In about an hour or two, the steaks will be tenderized and ready to cook!
How to Cook Steak in an Air Fryer
Fry steaks with an air fryer, it’s as easy as 1-2-3!
- Let the steaks sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Preheat the air fryer.
- Oil and season them according to the recipe below
- Air fry between 8 and 12 minutes (per recipe below).
How Long to Air Fry Steaks
Refer to your owner’s guide for precise cooking information that goes with the appliance. But here’s a general guideline for a 1″ steak. (Thinner steaks need less time, thicker will need more).
- For rare steaks, cook about 6 to 8 minutes
- Medium steaks should be cooked about 8 to 10 minutes
- Well-done steaks take a good 12 to 15 minutes.
Ultimately, the best way to gauge the doneness of a steak is with a meat thermometer. The FDA recommends a minimum temperature of 145°F with a 3-minute rest. I take the steak out about 5° before it reaches my desired temperature.
Medium Well: 155°F
Leftover air fryer steak can be reheated in the air fryer again. Just brush on a little melted butter to make it juicy again. Reheat, re-season, and serve! Or, slice it thin and add it to a beef stir fry or even serve as a cheesesteak for a whole new meal!
Tips for Perfect Steak Every Time
- Preheat the air fryer and use room temp steaks for the best results!
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the air can circulate evenly around the steaks.
- Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the basket as the heat from the basket will continue cooking it.
- Allowing the steaks to rest after cooking helps seal in the juices before serving.
Air Fryer Favorites
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Fish & Chips
Did you try these Air Fryer Steaks? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Air Fryer Steak
- 2 steaks 1″ thick , ribeye, sirloin or striploin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter melted
- steak seasoning to taste
Remove steaks from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.
Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
Rub the steaks with olive oil and melted butter. Generously season on each side.
Add the steaks to the air fryer basket and cook 8-12 minutes (flipping after 4 minutes) or until steaks reach desired doneness.
Remove steaks from the air fryer and transfer to a plate. Rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
Top with additional butter if desired and serve.
Steaks that are a minimum of 3/4″ thick (or thicker) cook best in the air fryer
Cook times are for a 1″ steak, adjust times as needed for thinner or thicker steaks.
- Medium Rare: Cook the steak 8-9 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
- Medium: Cook the steak 9-11 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
- Medium Well: Cook the steak 11-12 minutes flipping after 4 minutes.
Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the air can circulate evenly around the steaks.
Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the basket while it rests.