Perfect for chilly nights or lazy afternoons, chicken vegetable soup is fresh and flavorful.
This healthy and hearty soup recipe is chock-full of veggies and flavor and comes together quickly.
Classic Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
Of all the classic soup recipes, nothing beats a chicken & vegetable soup! Perfect for rainy days, sick days, or any day, this soup goes great with homemade garlic bread and maybe a side of creamy cucumber salad to round out a perfect dinner.
This is one of those recipes that never fails to please, even to the pickiest eater!
Ingredients & Variations
Chicken & vegetable soup is not only the best soup recipe to have in your recipe box, but it is also super versatile!
- Toss in leftover veggies like broccoli, carrots, onions (or peas, green beans, corn).
- Feel free to add in some rice, egg noodles, or even leftover biscuits on the top just like dumplings!
- In place of chicken, try substitute ground beef, sausage, or even mini meatballs?
- Bacon bits go great for a little extra flavor without so much meat.
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
The best way to make chicken vegetable soup is to start with fresh ingredients.
- Saute the onions & potatoes (per recipe below).
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and seasonings. Simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add veggies and chicken. Simmer until heated.
Season with salt and pepper before serving and enjoy this hearty and delicious soup!
Tips for Success
- Add your favorite seasonings. If you have fresh herbs (parsley or basil), stir them in just before serving.
- As this recipe uses cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well in this recipe) add the chicken near the end so it doesn’t overcook.
- If using fresh vegetables in place of frozen, add them along with the broth so they have time to cook through.
You can keep leftover soup in the fridge for 3-4 days if properly stored. To add more shelf life, freeze the remainder in an airtight container or zippered bag labeled with a date. Simply thaw and reheat to enjoy your delicious soup again!
More Savory Soup Ideas
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup – easy to make from scratch!
- Beef Stroganoff Soup – a flavorful broth
- Italian Bean Soup – quick & simple
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup – cheesy and oh-so-easy!
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup – perfect for making ahead
- Vegetable Barley Soup – hearty & healthy
Did you enjoy this Chicken Vegetable Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 ½ ounces can diced tomatoes with juices
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables defrosted
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
Cook onion in butter over medium heat until it starts to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add potatoes and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
Add broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer 12 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
Stir in vegetables and chicken. Simmer 5 minutes more.
Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with parsley and serve.
As this recipe uses cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well in this recipe) add the chicken near the end so it doesn’t overcook.
If using fresh vegetables in place of frozen, add them along with the broth so they have time to cook through.
If adding pasta (or rice) add to each serving bowl if you will be keeping leftovers as the pasta can become soggy if stored in the fridge.
Recipe slightly adapted from Hamburger Soup.