Who doesn’t love a homemade, chocolaty, hot fudge pudding cake?
This super yummy, super gooey chocolate pudding cake is an easy, one-dish dessert recipe that can go from the oven to the table in no time flat! Make it from scratch in under an hour, and serve warm with ice cream!
Why We Love Pudding Cake
Chocolate pudding cake is so easy and uses pantry ingredients that you probably have on hand.
Pudding cake is made in just one pan, which means fewer dishes!
Moist and gooey with a deep chocolatey flavor, pudding cake is an easy and decadent dessert!
Ingredients & Variations
While the base will always be the same, there are plenty of ways to customize chocolate pudding cake!
DRY Flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder are all used in this Pudding Cake!
WET Milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla are all added to the dry ingredients.
TOPPING Brown sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and water are all mixed together to create the hot fudge topping!
VARIATIONS Toss in a handful of toasted walnuts, hazelnuts, or sliced almonds! Add maraschino cherries on top, or add a swirl of peanut butter through the batter before baking!
How to Make Pudding Cake
Super quick and easy, this cake turns out perfect every time!
- Combine the first four ingredients in a casserole dish. Use a whisk to blend everything thoroughly.
- Add liquid ingredients (per recipe below). Stir until well mixed.
- Sprinkle on the topping and DO NOT STIR. Pour very hot/boiling water over top and bake.
Tips for the Best Pudding Cake
- Do not stir or mix the topping once sprinkled over top.
- The water poured over top of the dessert should be very very hot. I use hot tap water (or hot water from my coffee machine).
- Allow this dessert to rest at least 10-15 minutes after baking so the pudding layer has a chance to set up a bit.
- Keep pudding cake in a sealed container at room temperature!
- Homemade Pizookie – cookie shaped like pizza!
- Gooey Caramel Brownies – moist and delicious
- Better Than Sex Cake – only 5 ingredients
- Coconut Caramel Poke Cake – with rich caramel sauce
- Cookie Dough Brownies – a sinfully sweet treat
- Black Forest Chocolate Trifle – easy to make
Did you love this Chocolate Pudding Cake? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chocolate Pudding Cake
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups very hot water
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a 2 qt casserole dish, combine flour, white sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
Add milk and oil, and vanilla. Stir until well mixed.
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Sprinkle over cake batter. DO NOT STIR. Pour hot water over top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top looks cooked. Serve warm (with ice cream if desired).
The water poured over top of the dessert should be very very hot. I use hot tap water (or hot water from my coffee machine).
Allow this dessert to rest at least 10-15 minutes after baking so the pudding layer has a chance to set up a bit.
Keep pudding cake in a sealed container at room temperature!