Chinese food never tasted better than this General Tso Chicken recipe made hot and fresh right at home!
This take-out favorite chicken dish has a spicy-sweet sauce made with simple ingredients and easy prep – no need to order out tonight!
What is General Tso’s Chicken?
General Tso Chicken is one of the top menu choices for Chinese food lovers. It is a tasty chicken dish with sweet and sticky sauce that may have been created in right here in North America!
Ingredients & Variations
The name of the game is simple ingredients that are easy to find in any market!
We love juicy chicken breasts, thighs will work too if that’s what you have on hand!
Hoisin sauce, chicken broth, cornstarch, and other additions make for the sweet and spicy sauce we all love so much!
Here’s where it’s easy to customize this dish. Use extra dried red chili peppers, or for less spice just halve or even quarter the amount. It’s up to the tastes of the individual! Ginger and garlic also add great flavor, so play around with the amounts to achieve the perfect blend that will suit any taste!
How to Make General Tso Chicken
This recipe is ready in just a few easy steps!
- Dredge chopped chicken with egg and cornstarch.
- Pan fry in small batches (per recipe below) until crisp.
- Make the sauce and toss with chicken. Garnish with green onion and serve!
PRO TIP: To cut chicken breasts into uniform chunks, just place in the freezer for 1/2 hour before chopping! This makes it super easy to cut!
Tips for Success
- Be sure to preheat the oil before frying to ensure super tender chunks of tasty chicken! Don’t overcook.
- Adjust the heat level by adding more or less chili flakes.
- Thicken using a cornstarch slurry.
- If desired, peppers are a great addition to this recipe.
Take-Out at Home
- Easy Mongolian Beef – a family favorite
- Easy Homemade Chow Mein – with fresh veggies
- Shrimp Lo Mein – quick!
- Beef and Broccoli – 30-minute meal
- Kung Pao Chicken – spicy & savory
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe – better than takeout
Did your family love this General Tso Chicken? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
General Tso Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breasts
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup cornstarch + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or as needed, divided
- 2 green onions thinly sliced, white and green divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 dried red chili peppers whole, or 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
Cut chicken breasts into 1″ cubes. Season with salt & pepper and toss with egg. Remove chicken from egg and toss with ½ cup cornstarch.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken and cook until crisp and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding more oil if needed. Remove from the pan and set aside.
For the sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the whites of the green onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sauce ingredients and simmer 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Slowly drizzle cornstarch into the sauce while whisking until it is slightly thickened. Toss sauce with cooked chicken and garnish with remaining green onion.