Mushroom Barley Soup is an easy favorite, and a bowl full of goodness & flavor!
Perfect for meatless Monday or as a vegetarian entrée, but feel free to add beef, chicken, or turkey. If you can find wild mushrooms, use them, otherwise fresh from the market or canned mushrooms will work!
Quick and Yummy!
This is one of our all-time favorites because it’s easy to make. One pot and three easy steps are all it takes to create this wonderfully heartwarming soup that everyone will love!
Mushroom Barley Soup is easy on the wallet because it’s made without meat but is still hearty. It’s perfect for a crowd!
Ingredients & Variations
Just a few fresh veggies, some herbs, some broth and barley, and, of course, all the mushrooms!
MUSHROOMS Wild, from the supermarket, or even canned! They’ll all taste great in this soup.
BARLEY Pearl barley is used in this soup, but use any kind you have. No barley? Use rice instead!
VEGGIES Onion, celery & carrot are diced up and simmered with the mushrooms and broth. Feel free to add any extra veggies you have in your fridge or garden!
BROTH Beef broth is added to this soup, but for a vegetarian version, use mushroom broth instead (or vegetable broth)!
VARIATIONS Toss in any leftover beef or chicken you want to use up! Try adding a can of great northern beans or even corn to your soup for some extra protein and color!
How to Make Mushroom Barley Soup
Mushroom barley soup is hearty and healthy and comes together in no time flat!
- Saute the onions, carrots, and celery in butter until the onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (per recipe below) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer until the barley is tender.
Add some leftover roast beef for a flavorful version of beef barley soup.
Tips for the Perfect Soup
- Chop the onions, carrot, and celery in uniform sizes so they cook at the same rate.
- If using fresh mushrooms, brush any debris off of them with a paper towel. To make a fancier soup, try using different kinds of mushrooms instead of the regular button white variety. Why not try Criminis, porcini, shiitakes, or oyster mushrooms?
- To store mushroom barley soup leftovers, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- To freeze mushroom soup, ladle it into zippered bags, label with the date and they should keep about two months.
Other Delicious Soups
- Fresh Tomato Soup – creamy & savory
- White Bean Soup – hearty & filling
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – flavorful
- Crockpot Potato and Sausage Soup – set it & forget it
- Philly Cheesesteak Soup – a family favorite
- Chicken Tortellini Soup – comfort food
Did your family love this Mushroom Barley Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced or 1 can mushrooms
- 6 cups beef broth or vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
Cook onion, carrot and celery in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until onion is tender. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 30-35 minutes or until barley is tender.
Discard bay leaf and serve.
Freeze in labeled ziptop bags for up to 4 months.