When we opened nominations for our ninth annual HCD 10 awards on March 20, the world was quickly becoming an entirely different place than it had been just a month before.
As this industry dove into responding to the COVID-19 crisis as quickly and adeptly as possible, we’re grateful that you also found the time to nominate colleagues and peers to this program. The result is a complex—and wildly impressive—mix of professional contributions to the field of healthcare design over the 12 months preceding our late April deadline. On the following pages, we celebrate the 2020 winners spanning 10 industry categories for their steadfast work to deliver safe, efficient, beautiful, and effective healthcare environments.
Contributions include creating a new model of care for mental health patients presenting in the emergency department; championing a modern reading room space for radiologists sorely in need of one; and dedicating expertise and resources to guide swift responses to early COVID-19 patient surge and space conversion initiatives. The range of talent, passion, and influence these nine individuals and one Outstanding Organization demonstrate is a testament to the strength of this industry as we all navigate what lies ahead. Congratulations to our winners—it’s an honor to celebrate your accomplishments and contributions.
- Architect—Mark Gesinger, principal, ZGF Architects, Seattle.
- Interior Designer—Amy Sickeler, design principal and interior design director for healthcare projects, Perkins and Will, Atlanta
- Owner/Provider—Christopher Hoy, senior supervisory construction administration manager, facilities planning & construction, University of Virginia, Facilities Management, Charlottesville, Va.
- Clinician— Scott Zeller, MD, vice president of acute psychiatry, Vituity, Emeryville, Calif.
- Facility Manager—Abdulrahim Alnatour, facility management and safety director, Almoosa Specialist Hospital, Al-Ahasa, Eastern province, Saudi Arabia
- Building Professional—Mark Chrisman, healthcare practice director/vice president, Henderson Engineers, Lenexa, Kan.
- Educator—Lisa Lim, assistant professor, College of Architecture, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- Researcher—Zorana Matić, graduate researcher, SimTigrate Design Lab, School of Architecture, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
- Team MVP—Satoshi Minoshima, MD, PhD, professor and chair, Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences, University of Utah, Salt Lake City
- Outstanding Organization—HKS Inc., Dallas